site stats
SSX's Blog



Tremors? Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I was lying on my bed about 20 minutes ago and arching my back like a lazy cat when I felt a jolt. It felt like my body involuntarily twitched from my stretching so I decided that it's not the best position to stay in. Thus I turned my lazed body slightly and have it facing the ceiling such that I am laying on my bed staring at the ceiling like some stoned individual. It was pretty comfortable in that position and then this perpetual wave of seemingly very mild seismic activity set in. Okay I sort of exaggerated. It wasn't perpetual. It lasted for less than a minute I guess. I lay there wondering what it was and sort of enjoying it in that indolent mode. It wasn't my heartbeat since the vibration was so faster and it wasn't vibration caused by resonance. I couldn't care less though until my dad broke my surreal state of thought by asking me whether I felt the tremors. I certainly did.

But hmm, earthquake somewhere near Singapore again? Probably. I have never felt the tremors that vividly before since I live somewhere in the middle of the west area, not near the coastal areas. Thankfully for us, we will never feel the full impact of the earthquake because Singapore doesn't lie on the boundaries of plates, as taught proudly by our Geography teachers in lower secondary levels. Still, any tremors felt is sure to instill some degree of fear in some paranoia citizens (no offense intended if you were one of them) as proven times and times in the past. Just google "Singapore earthquake" and you will know what I mean. I still don't know the cause though so I stepped into the shower while others were investigating the cause (through the news I predict).

According to my mom who heard this from the news, this was caused by the earthquake in Sumatra which measured 7.6 on the Richter scale. I visited ChannelNewsAsia and the news proved to be true. We were definitely blessed to be only feeling tremors. Those in Sumatra are far worse off. May there be minimal casualties.

The news:

source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1008365/1/.html

Labels: ,

Posted at 6:34 PM